Tips for Making a DIY Bed Canopy
Do you want to make your bedroom homier and more sophisticated, without spending much money? If you agree that your bedroom is missing something, adding a DIY bed canopy will certainly bring the wow factor.
What used to be a solely functional feature became a cozy aesthetic and a symbol of luxury. If you do not know where to start from, we have you covered. In this post, we share a detailed tutorial on making your bed canopy for cheap, along with some tips and tricks.
What is a Bed Canopy?
The specific design features a four-post bed lined with a versatile fabric on all four sides. The material can have tassels or other intriguing details for added visual touch. Back in medieval times, bed canopies were supposed to offer privacy and an additional layer for warmth.
Over time, these beds overlooked the functionality factor and became a staple of luxury and elegance. Homeowners prefer to use light and sheer fabrics with unique details and finishes that match their particular style.
The Pros of Having a Bed Canopy
This simple feature will make your master suite look upscale and refined. Originally, bed canopies are attached to a four-post bed frame. With a little bit of creativity, you can turn your usual king-size bed into a dreamy canopy bed. Regardless of your interior design style, there are so many options to consider. Feel free to play with finishes, textures, and details for a dose of visual touch. Alternatively, stick to sheer white curtains that fit any interior style.
We understand that your preferences and wishes will change as time passes. Knowing that your DIY bed canopy is highly customizable, you won’t have to stick to one particular style. Homeowners can quickly change the fabric for a contemporary and updated look that fits the overall ambiance.
The canopy will keep you warm in winter due to the extra layers. Furthermore, it will prevent direct sunlight and keep your bed cool in the summer. Not only do you get a highly aesthetic feature, but you will feel more comfortable as well.
How to Make a DIY Bed Canopy
Although the bed canopy looks high-end and expensive, keep in mind that it does not have to cost a lot. If you are feeling crafty, you can make your own dreamy DIY bed canopy in no time. All you need are a few cheap supplies, tools that you already have in your home, and some spare time.
Most of the DIY bed canopy designs are made with curtains, so use any cheap sheer curtains to get the high-end bedroom vibe. Furthermore, we explain the step-by-step process for making an easy DIY canopy for a king-size bed.
- Four half-inch PVC pipes eight feet in length
- 14 x PVC conduit clamps
- Four 90-degree elbows with a half-inch opening
- Metallic spray paint
- Spray primer
- Curtain hoops
- Cut the PVC pipes to the correct length. Since PVC is easy to cut through, you can use any saw such as circular, handsaw, or miter. For a king-sized bed, you will need two 76-inch and two 80-inch PVC pipes.
- Use sandpaper to rough up the pipe’s surface to prepare it for painting.
- Cover the PVC pipes with a spray primer. This step is optional, but the primer will give the PVC material a good coating so that you can use less spray paint.
- Next, paint the material with metallic spray paint of your choice. Leave the PVC pipes to dry completely before you proceed to put them together.
- Use a tape measure to find the ideal positioning of your DIY bed canopy. Mark the four corners of the canopy.
- Use around ten clamps to attach the PVC pipe frame onto the ceiling, or more if you need to. Have them installed before you run the structure through the clamps.
- Hang the curtains before you proceed to mount the 90-degree elbows in the corners.
We hope that our detailed instructions have provided a helping hand for your next DIY project. We invite you to check our other posts and grab more inspiration for decorating your home!